Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate weeks old raw mince with flys and all sorts of

Customer Question
things in there will he...
My dog ate weeks old raw mince with flys and all sorts of things in there will he be ok ? Any suggestions ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat this?

Approximately how much did he eat?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Like 40 minutes ago and maybe a large handful , I washed his mouth out with water and fed him half a kg of fresh raw chicken , he's all sweet as we speak but I'm stressing a little

Thank you,

While this won't have been very nice for him to eat, the only real risk is whether he has inadvertently eaten any nasty bacteria that could upset his gut.

Now if he had this only 40 minutes ago, we could choose to induce vomiting and get all this back up and out of the stomach. If you wanted to do this, you can induce vomiting at home by administering 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider whether you wanted to have your local vet (or ER vet) give apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of the stomach.

Otherwise, we'd just want to use supportive care for the next few days to offset any GI upset here. To do so, you can put him on an OTC antacid like:

* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards a light diet is best. His chicken is fine though we'll usually use cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut (and by being boiled its already partly broken down for the gut). Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, this isn't a high risk situation. The flies and maggots will just be extra protein but we could see GI upset with vomiting or diarrhea if there are gut unfriendly bacteria present. So, we can induce vomiting to try and purge his stomach just now. Otherwise, we'd want to just use supportive care to keep his stomach settled over the next 48 hours.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian