Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Gil
, Yes she is 10 years old just had a major surgery…

Customer Question
Yes she is 10...

Yes she is 10 years old just had a major surgery to remove her spleen and a softball size tumor about 5 days ago. She is recovering very well and has a healthy appetite and is on tramadal, cephalixin and rimadyl. she popped the first day home but now it has been 2 days since she went.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry you both have been through so much the past few days.

It is normal for a dog to not defecate several days after surgery. The day of or immediately after surgery they defecate what was already in their colon but the combination of no food x 12+ hours, the opioids which slow the gut, and reduced activity can increase gi stagnancy and as long as there is no vomiting and eating well giving it another 24 hours is advised

You can encourage defecation by adding water to small more frequent meals along with fiber such as white rice and if there is no defecation by tomorrow afternoon please consult your veterinarian.

I hope this information helps, I do caution owners this is a normal phenomenon postoperatively but do understand your concerns this evening

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am online another 10 minutes tonight to assist you both

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman