Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 3 months shitzu chewed on a bounce laundry dryer sheet. I…

Customer Question
Hi, my 3 months shitzu...
Hi, my 3 months shitzu chewed on a bounce laundry dryer sheet. I am concerned she swallowed some of it. Should I be concerned or is there something I can do now?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Was the sheet used?

2- How much of the sheet do you believe she could have swallowed?

Used sheet and hard to determine but definitely less than half of the sheet thank you

How big was the sheet?

About 6 x 8

Do you know if she broke down the sheet into small pieces?

Friend, some of the dryer sheets can be very irritated to the gastrointestinal tract. However, this sheet has been used so the possibility of being irritating is less likely. The other concern is the possibility of the sheet becoming obstructed. I would recommend the following:

1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.
2- Do not induce vomiting.
3- Change her diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%). The idea is for the rice to help move the sheet out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. Make sure you check her stool for the sheet. If you do not see it in the feces within 48 hours I would have her checked by family vet for xrays.
4- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

OK, if she did chew into smaller pieces that is good as there is a good chance she will be able to pass it in the stool. Please follow the recommendations I made above.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

I did notreceive your recommend actions

OK, I am sorry. I have repeated my earlier response below:

2- Do not induce vomiting.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about Panda. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter