Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 2 year old pit/lab mix who is normally gh energy and…

Customer Question
Our 2 year old pit/lab...
Our 2 year old pit/lab mix who is normally high energy and eats her food immediately, would not eat her food this morning and has been sleeping and has no energy.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Any other symptoms?

No vomiting, diarrhea or coughing. I'm not aware of her getting into anything or eating something out of the ordinary. No other symptoms. She is extremely active in the morning. We got up at 5 a.m. today and she has been sleeping in bed under the covers ever since. I tried to feed her her dog food and she wouldn't touch it. She loves to lick my plate after I eat breakfast and she wouldn't have anything to do with it.

1- Is she walking?

2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

3- Can you take her rectal temperature?

She can walk and did some this morning. I don't have anything to use to take a rectal temp. Her gums are pink.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, lethargy and decrease appetite are very non-specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. It will be difficult to determine the exact underlying cause on history alone as she is not showing other symptoms. But, common possible causes are: A fever, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case, your dog will need a hands on examination by a veterinarian, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on clinical and diagnostic findings. In the meantime, offer her a bland diet of rice & boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. If possible blend the food and force feed her small amounts 4-6 times a day. Follow up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!