Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was playing with rat poisen

Customer Question
My dog was playing with rat poisen
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your pup was playing with rat poison. Even if you are fairly certain that he did not swallow any, I would still recommend making him vomit as soon as possible.

You can give 1-2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide by mouth and he should vomit within 5 to 10 minutes.

If there is any bit of the poison in his vomit (it is usually blue or green in color) you will need to take him to the emergency vet tonight for additional treatments.

If the vomit does not contain any evidence of the poison, then you and he are free and clear and there is nothing to worry about.

Does this help? Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Amanda

She is 9 pounds and 20 months old
Thank you

I will be on-line for about 30 more minutes if you have any other questions.

Dr. A

I do not have any hydrogen peroxide and I live 1 hour from the store. Her nose is still wet and cold
It will probably take 2 hours to get to the vet

You need to make her vomit or take her to your local animal emergency room so they can make her vomit.

This is not optional.

Rat poison will kill dogs just as easily as it kills rats.

Do you have any baking soda at home?

You can mix a teaspoon of this with 1/2 cup of water and syringe feed 1 to 2 teaspoons at a time until he vomits.

Ok. I am on my way to the vet
I do not have a syringe

Good luck tonight! Safe travels!

I will be on-line tomorrow evening if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

How is your puppy this evening? How was the trip to the ER? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. Amanda

Thank You for your help last night. I bought hydrogen peroxide and syringes already. My dog Haole is fine. She is sleeping at my feet now. It was a difficult*****to Reno, but we made it. They made her vomit and tested her blood. Now she is taking vitamin k.Bill

Ah, GREAT NEWS! I am SO glad that you were able to take her there last night. You really did the right thing. Thank you for the update. Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. Amanda

No, not at this time

:-)

I'm just following up on our conversation about Haole. How is everything going?
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian