Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My poddle just ate about 1/8 of tube of optimmune 3.5 GM…

Customer Question
My poddle just ate...

My poddle just ate about 1/8 of tube of optimmune 3.5 GM ointment that was meant for my other dogs eyes. This was the remaining amount left of the tube. Will this hurt her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I am just wondering if I should take her to the emergency vet? This just happened

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he eat only the ointment or also part of the tube?

2- How much does he weigh?

ointment and part of tube. I don't know h ow much she weighs. Guessing 10 to 15 lbs.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

no I will talk online as we are

Friend, the amount of ointment she consumed should not be a problem. The main concern is the tube which can become obstructed or perforate the gastrointestinal tract if it had sharp edges. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Change her diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the tube out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. Make sure you check her stool, if during the next 48 hours you do not see the piece of the tube in the feces I would have her checked by family vet for xrays.

4- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian