Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Our dog (terrier breed, wt.of about 12 lbs.) has ingested am

Customer Question

Our dog (terrier breed, wt.of about 12 lbs.) has ingested am unknown amount of
Vaseline. Do we need to have a vet. see her immediately ? Or is there something we should watch for ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Do you think that Vali ate any of the container that it was in? Was it the straight petroleum jelly Vaseline product?

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

The ingestion of petroleum jelly shouldn't be a toxicity situation. It can cause stomach upset or loose stool, depending on the amount ingested. Sometimes the loose stools / diarrhea that are produced are very productive. They can be self limiting. For the most part with ingestions like this, diarrhea and / or vomiting are treated symptomatically as they arise. These situations are more concerning if the actual product container is consumed as that can have the potential for a foreign body situation.