Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog was treated Worms and after the treatment she

Customer Question

My dog was treated for Whip Worms and after the treatment she developed a swollen red tongue with bumps on it. What could have caused this. Now she isn't eating>
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! You say she is on steroids? Has your vet already seen her then?

Is your dog still drinking? Is there a way for you to take a photo of her tongue?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Swelling of the tongue is called glossitis. It isn't something we see too often in dogs. The fact that it happened after being treated for whipworms may just be coincidental. Unless she has a rare allergy to the medication for the whipworms. I haven't heard of this before, and would expect her to have other signs- swelling of the muzzle/face and hives as well, but I guess it is a possibility.

There are many things which can cause glossitis. Some of the most common would be a foriegn body. like a burr or grass awn working its way into the tongue- if you live in a wooded area or your dog gets these things stuck in his coat, it is possible he groomed himself and got some of the material into his tongue. You also want to look underneath his tongue and be sure there isn't a piece of string or foreign material wrapped around the base of his tongue. Other possibilites include bacterial and fungal infections,

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

insect bites, burns, eating of an irritating plant (i.e. the house plant Dumb Cane can cause this- not sure if you may have some of that plant around), immune diseases like lupus, kidney disease, and in more rare instances cancer.

There is a long list of possibilities here. Here are two links with info on the condition: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/pethealth/dog_disorders_and_diseases/digestive_disorders_of_dogs/disorders_of_the_mouth_in_dogs.html

and http://www.vetbook.org/wiki/dog/index.php?title=Glossitis

If your dog hasn't been seen by the vet yet, he needs to go get checked out. The real concern right now is keeping him hydrated. If he is still drinking water, great. If he is not, you may have to syringe water into his mouth or take him to your vet for fluid therapy until his tongue is better. If he isn't eating his normal food, you may try a wet food or blenderizing some wet food into a soup/gruel that you can syringe into his mouth. It is probably painful to him- just imagine how sensitive your tongue is, so chewing on regular food is probably not fun for him!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.. If you do not have any other questions, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck with your dog!