Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Carin has a growth on the chin that is growing and another…

Customer Question
carin has a growth on...
carin has a growth on the chin that is growing and another newer growth under the nose.
It is smoother than a wart. Currently have a months worth of antibiotics.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Millie. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

ok

Glad you're there. I've got some important and hopefully helpful information to pass along to you.

(typing more)

Are you able to upload a photo of these lumps? You may use the paperclip icon.

no, size of dime on chin - brown in color

And how long has this growth been there, please?

since last summer - but smaller than now

Okay, thank you.

And is your dog otherwise healthy? Does Millie take any medications?

she now how separate growth on nose - no other meds - very healthy

Good. I'm glad she's doing well otherwise.

I want to start by letting you know that this could be due to a few different things. I'm guessing you mentioned the antibiotics because you're wondering if taking those would help make this go away. Unfortunately, the answer is no. Antibiotics would only be helpful if this was due to a particular kind of bacterial infection. I'm afraid that's just not likely. While bacterial skin infections do occur and cause abnormal skin, it would be much more common for this to be something else.

makes sense - could this bump be cancerous or something else to really worry about

While serious cancerous growths are not terribly common on such young dogs, it *is* possible. Also, most cancerous growths would have shown more dramatic changes in the period of several months.

I'm afraid none of that rules out cancer, though. It has to be included on the list of possibilities until proven otherwise.

In most cases the only certain way to find out for sure what a lump is would be to have a biopsy done.

In the interests of providing you with as much information as possible, the most serious tumor type I would worry about this being is a mast cell tumor.

ok thanks = very helpfull

Because of the chance this could be something serious, I'd advise having a thorough examination and the necessary diagnostic steps done as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, I'll be hopeful it turns out to be nothing serious.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

Just checking in to ask how things are going with Millie.

Thank you,

Dr. Jo