Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Why is my dog snuffling as if she has something in her nose.

Customer Question
This is new and has...
Why is my dog snuffling as if she has something in her nose. This is new and has been going on for about a week. She is running a low grade fever.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

It would be reasonable to assume that her "snuffling" concomitant with fever indicates upper respiratory infection, in particular, a rhinitis (inflammation inside her nose). This is usually treated with a broad spectrum antibiotic for 7-10 days. What was her rectal temperature, please? Normal is 100.5-102.5F.

I don't know. A vet took it and informed me that she had a bit of fever. She is on an antibiotic but she seems slow to improve. She's been on it just since Thurs. so I guess I need to be more patient. Thanks for the info. Rosy is my best friend.

Thank you. Yes, be patient with Rosy. I want to see a positive response to the tincture of time and the antibiotic within the first week of therapy. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian