Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is chewing on her sides. She has no fleas. She

Customer Question
My dog is chewing on...
My dog is chewing on her sides. She has no fleas. She doesn't break the skin, but she chews just hard enough to make it hotter than other areas of her body. She hasn't changed her diet. She eats science diet and Trufood dry. She doesn't chew when she sits in my chair during the day, but she does at night. She sleeps next to me. The only time she stops is when she cuddles behind my knees.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Dixie is either allergic to something or has developed an Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder. BY that I mean that the more that Dixie scratches, the more irritated the skin becomes causing her to scratch more and so on. You have to stop this circle effect and the treatment for this is as follows:

Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
1 Give Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****