Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Black lab, she is 11 years old

Customer Question
Black lab, she is 11 years old
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

What is wrong with your sweet Casie? Is she eating? Any vomiting or coughing? Please give me all symptoms so I can help you.

Thank you!

Sincerely, ***** *****

She did eat this morning, but she has no drank water. I tthink she did her businrss after she ate.
Just laying and wont walk any more then she has to.

THanks for the information.

Most likely Cassie has suffered an injury to a disc in her back or has aggravated an already present arthritis probably in her hips. This is very common in older labs because of their conformation. Since Cassie does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this pain causing her to not want to move. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Cassie jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as she is eating, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine Cassie to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cassie. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian