Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How should my dogs labor last

Customer Question
How long should my dogs...
How long should my dogs labor last
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She is now sleeping. I thought she was in labor because she was licking her vulva a lot. Almost none stop, except for when she decided to dig again. As I stated before she has not seemed to be pushing or having contractions. I have been up all night with her and I have work in the morning.
1/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Sophie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I just came online and saw your question. How is she doing now? I am sorry you did not get help from an expert before now.

Usually once she starts pushing, a puppy should come about every half an hour. If she is pushing and contracting for an hour and no puppy comes she needs to be checked by a veterinarian. If you take her temperature with a rectal thermometer and it is 100 or less, she should be getting ready; normal temp is between 101 and 102.

Let me know how she is doing and if you need help with her.

How is Sophie doing?