Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Doc i have an eight year old pug (male) he's been quite

Customer Question
hi there doc i have an...
hi there doc
i have an eight year old pug (male) he's been quite healthy but recently his back legs seems to be weakened. he has difficulty standing and when he walks or run it seems like the legs are drunk. This morning i woke up and found pee everywhere in the room, a line of pee from his bed to him (hiding in the corner of the room shaking and ass wet with pee).
recently asked my local doctor and she said that its a problem with the spine and nerves system that effect the back legs and she said to lookout for the symptoms when my pug cannot control his pee and poo. now could be it
any suggestions doc?
thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear of this with Mojo. You've described a miniature dog suffering from degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk"). The disk is compressing his spine causing the ataxia ("drunken sailor") and urinary incontinence. His conscious proprioception (knowing where his legs are in space) and nociception (deep pain perception) need to be assessed by his vet. These qualities tell us his prognosis for functional recovery. Conservative therapy involves the use of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam + a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol + a skeletal muscle relaxant such as diazepam or methocarbamol. He needs to be kept as quiet as possible so he can't hurt himself further. His physical exam might reveal that he would be better addressed by surgical decompression of his spine.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

thank you doc.if you don't might can you translate that into an easier context for me to understand. sorry for the inconvenience since english is my second language.mojo is still quite active, he still run and seems to be normal in everyway. especially when he sees food he can get very excited and start to jump around, stand up on the side of the chair which i am trying to control since its not good for his condition right now.right now i just gave him a shower since he's wet in pee and food so he's not hungry while at the vet. still he seems normal.thank you doc

I understand. Think of his condition as one in which his spinal cord has been injured. He still can move around well which is a good sign that he can get better. I want his vet to prescribe an antiinflammatory drug such as I mentioned above. Such a drug for a minimum of 10 days and keeping Mojo as quiet as possible could normalize him. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Pete,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mojo. How is everything going?