How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28499
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are iris bulbs poisonous to dogs?

Customer Question

Are iris bulbs poisonous to dogs?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

They are. Please see here: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/iris Your Scottie's vomiting is consistent with such a poisoning but it appears that the vomiting was protective - nature's way of treating such a poisoning! There's no specific antidote and so treatment remains supportive. Administering an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.25 mg/lb and repeated in 12 hours should afford him some comfort. I would wait 6 hours from the last vomiting episode to feed him. Water should be left down unless drinking induces more vomiting at which time ice cubes should replace his water.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.