How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 21437
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 9 year old chihuahua. His face suddenly swelled about a week before Christma

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 9 year old chihuahua. His face suddenly swelled about a week before Christmas. We took him to an emergency vet. They prescribed him a antibiotic and another medicine. I'm not sure what it was. It was premeasured in a syringe. His face went down by almost 50% the first day but never did go away completely. His face began to swell again. On one side by his nose and his eye. The first time we noticed it his whole nose was swollen. We took him to Banfield. They gave him clindamiacine he took it for a week and a half. It didn't really help. They gave him a dental and pulled some bad teeth. They biopsied his nose and said it looked black? They suspect it might be cancerous. I don't believe that's it. He's not eating very well and he's still about the same 2 days after his surgery. I've gave him a half a benadryl pill a few times but I don't notice much difference either way. I'm beginning to worry. He's really having a hard time breathing through his nose and he's feel
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Did they xray his nose/face?Is it the bridge of the nose that is swollen or the nose itself?How much does he weigh?What pain medications is he on currently?Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He weighs 7.5 pnds. He was given clavamox at the ER vet. He's currently taking meloxicam but only one dose for 3 days. Also buprenophine 0.3 MG every 12 hrs for 3 days. His nose is swollen only on one side. Near the top and around that eye. His face looks lopsided. I don't remember what pain meds the ER vet gave him. It was prefilled syringes for every 12 hours for 6 days. But after he took his first doses of meds the next morning the swelling was noticeably smaller and only on one side. The swelling is kind of up high on his nose.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,Now if we are seeing a one-sided nasal swelling up under the eye then this does raise a number of concerns. We can see dental abscesses (which can be secondary to tooth root infections and the dental should have helped with), spreading fungal infections of the nose, and growths (benign and cancerous). Now when he partially responded to treatment that did suggest that this swelling was in part inflammation +/- infection. The problem is that if we have a lack of full resolution with those treatments, then we'd be wary of there being something else present. This could be an infection resistant to what has been used thus far but those other concerns become a worry for Pedro.With this in mind, I have to say that we need to tread with care here. In Pedro's case, it'd be best to have this xrayed at this point. That way you can see inside the lump to appreciate if we have an infectious issue or a growth. Once he is under anaesthesia for that, we'd also want his vet to sample the swelling. This can then be sent for analysis to definitively tell us what is present so that we can treat it effectively for him.Overall, I share your concern about his signs and lack of completely resolution with treatment. Therefore, at this point, we'd want to be proactive to see what is there. Therefore, an xray and biopsy would be best at this stage. That way we know what we are fighting and can make sure we address this as best we can for him before it makes him feel unwell. All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )