Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Grapefruit extract is advised on WEB research at 1

Customer Question

Grapefruit extract is advised on WEB research at 1 drop/10lbs, 6 times/day for giardia elimination. Is that safe for a dog long term and while also taking Rx med for the giardia elimination?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Larry,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Larry,

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. My experience is that grapefruit extract is non toxic to dogs and you would be very unlikely to see any adverse effects at the sort of dose rate you mention. Grape seed extract is used in dogs to help with chronic giardia and I have suggested it's use myself where there was a history of relapse with conventional meds.

2. Grapefruit extract will be very different in it's mode of action from your prescription drug and can safely be used with it, and it could well augment it's effect. Worth a try ....

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your answer was very reassuring and gave me confidence. My local vet could not answer the questions I posed and didn't seem interested in researching for the answer. Thanks again.Larry Keeney

No problem, very glad to have advised you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?