Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I'm ***** ***** We have a female pug who is almost 13 years

Customer Question
Customer: I'm ***** ***** We...
Customer: I'm ***** ***** We have a female pug who is almost 13 years old... this past year she's lost her hearing... I think her sight is going (significantly enough)... there are mornings when she doesn't want to eat (unheard of before)... so at least 3 nights this week she screams in the middle of the night. it sounds awful.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My husband has gone to her b/c it's been in the middle of the night. It happened again just now with her sitting next to me. She was unresponsive briefly Head back like a stroke (she had a few before) but this is happening so often now. I'm really worried about her.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
We also have an approx. 7 YO female pug that we rescued about 4 years ago. The younger pug (Ginger) has helped keep the older pug (Emma) lively, and it's a contrast. In some ways Emma seems good and moments of greatness, then in other ways she seems to be struggling (stepping inside and outside, sometimes losing bladder control, disoriented, hesitant, etc.)
1/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

There are three different considerations in such a 13 year old. The first are transient ischemic attacks (TIAs/mini strokes) as you mentioned. The second are complex partial seizures. The third are syncopal ("fainting") episodes. All can cause vocalizing, a change in mentation (mental status), and behavioral abnormalities. It can be a challenge differentiating one from the other but in general, syncope describes a sudden loss of consciousness and muscle tone, usually without motor activity and without postictal (post-seizure) signs such as disorientation, ataxia ("drunken sailor"), and finally sleep; in other words, a fast and complete recovery is expected. Syncopal episodes last less than a minute (otherwise fatal), whereas seizures may last several minutes. Clues of a cardiac problem - heart murmur, arrhythmia (irregular heart rate) - may be present in syncopal dogs.

Has her vet been apprised of these events? A thorough physical and neurologic exam is in order. Particular attention should be paid to her heart. A heart condition might be addressed in a conservative manner by specific heart drugs. Seizures are usually addressed with anticonvulsive drugs. Strokes have no specific therapy.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian