Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog had surgery today. They did not give m pain

Customer Question
My dog had surgery today...
My dog had surgery today. They did not give him pain medication to bring home from surgery and he appears to be in pain. The veterinarians emergency contact # ***** ***** working properly. He is 12 years old and a pitbull mix who weighs 81 lbs. He is whimpering and doesn't want to move. What can I give him to relieve his pain?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry that your veterinarian did not dispense pain medication for your Pit friend tonight postoperatively. Unfortunately we are very limited with medications at home that can help get him comfortable for a few reasons.

- If rimadyl or another nonsteroidal was administered in the hospital then using another nonsteroidal such as aspirin is contraindicated and can cause quite a bit of stomach upset. In addition, aspirin is the only safe over the counter pain medication but in this situation postoperatively can cause decreased clotting/ increased bleeding
- The whining can often be related to the medications used during surgery. For example, opioids such as hydromorphone or morphine can cause a dysphoric state and some dogs will cry/ whine/ moan with this medication not as an indictor of pain but more that they are less aware of their surroundings and while some dogs will cry/ howl, others will pace and have increased anxiety when they go home and yet others are still heavily sedated from the medication and move very little as a result. Typically this lasts 4-8 hours postoperatively

If he is not showing improvement then I would consider a veterinary er visit despite their telephone not working to get him something to help ease his discomfort tonight. If you have tramadol (ultram) available at home that can help but if he is not moving around it will increase sedation further

I hope this information makes sense and so sorry you both are having to endure this tonight. Please let me know how else I can assist you both, I am online another 30 minutes to assist you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian