Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dogs bl. platelet count was 624, s ALP 279, and s ALT 15.

Customer Question
Customer: my dogs bl. platelet...
Customer: my dogs bl. platelet count was 624 , his ALP 279, and his ALT 15. His Glucose was exceedingly low; 13, but that was due to his vomiting everything he ate for a day. He has very little appetite and is very listless. He sleeps almost all the time, but yet after walks, he RUNS UP and down the corridors of apt. building where I reside. He's approx. 13.5 years of age.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is a MN Cockapoo. but he favours the poodle. He has acid reflux for several yrs. and he has tracheaitis , hence his cough for past 4 yrs. now (approx.). He's had x-rays and has been evaluated by a vet cardiologist who determined that his heart was alright, but he has problems with his vertebrae causing arthritis. He has cataracts (mature)1 is worse than other and have brought him to 2 vet opthamologists -(eye specialists) and was seriously considering having surgery performed for 1 of his eyes at least (prohibitively expensive). His vision is exceedingly limited and his hearing went about year and a half ago. It was a process that I first noticed bout 2 yrs ago and has progressively diminished over time to where he is basically deaf. I have brought him to vets for all of these conditions. He used to have best potty habits until recently. Now he urinates in apt. regularly and occasionally defecates too. He is my best buddy. I take him everywhere w/ me. We've been together since 23 April, 2003 when somebody placed him in front of my apt. door with big bag of dog food and note placed in his leash. I opened my apt. door one sunny Fri. afternoon and there stood the most adorable lil' guy with a mass of golden curls. It was love at 1st sight. We've bonded so strongly and he's been there for me through sooooooooooo much. He isn't the same obviously and I miss the him that he used to ne. He's so cut off now. My heart bleeds for him. The vet told me he's in beginning kidney failure. Certainly, there must be something I can do to ameliorate this.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for the thorough history you provided. If his glucose is truly 13 it's life-threatening and I would expect him to be seizuring at this time. It wouldn't drop that low even with prolonged starvation. Such a value is seen if the blood were placed in the wrong collection tube or he has a glucagon-secreting pancreatic tumor. This needs to be rechecked at your earliest convenience. He would need supplemental sugar at this time if that's an accurate reading. That's done by force-feeding Karo syrup at a dose of 1 ml/lb every 2 hours. (1/5 of a measuring teaspoon every 2 hours.

His platelet count is elevated but not to the extent of considering a disease process. His ALP is not significantly elevated and that level of elevation is relatively common in geriatric dogs. Can you upload a copy of all of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but his vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

Thank u but I've got to go to vet now to trade his pill meds 4 long acting shot as he s exceedingly difficult to give meds orally.

I understand. Talk to the vet about whether the wrong tube was used to collect blood for the glucose test.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian