Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 17yo dog has had several episodes of bleeding from mouth,

Customer Question

My 17yo dog has had several episodes of bleeding from mouth, expelling blood clots and blood
Is this a sign to put her down? She still eats well and though arthritic, deaf and semi blind, can go for adventures in the yard, sniffing, etc. Your opinion would be appreciated...don 't have a lot of $ for the vet.
Also, she had a similar episode last March, the vet did a bunch of tests and didn' t find anything wrong..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Gretchen. Red (undigested) blood in the oral cavity would be expected to arise from an oral lesion - usually oral cancer at Gretchen's age - or perhaps an abscessed and loose tooth. A bleeding dyscrasia such as thrombocytopenia (low numbers of blood platelets) or an anticoagulant rodenticide ingestion (the two most common causes of uncontrolled bleeding in dogs) is unlikely considering this last occurred in March and not since. In fact, oral cancer would be unlikely to cause bleeding in March and then not again until now and so my primary search would center on Gretchen's teeth. I understand your financial constraints, however. Even if there were obvious dental disease it would necessitate quite an expense having preanesthetic blood work performed, anesthesia, and the necessary extractions and ancillary care.

I'm not adverse to "watchful waiting" to see if she remisses unaided as she did previously but it sounds as if that might not be the case this time around considering 3 episodes in the past week. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gretchen. How is everything going?