Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog swallowed the narrow inert from a squeaky toy, he was

Customer Question

My dog swallowed the narrow inert from a squeaky toy, he was making funny sounds and I felt it I the back of his throat but couldn't access it to pull it out and I'm sure it went down. Will it pass?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he swallow this?

What kind of sounds is he making? Rasping, coughing, wheezing?

Can he eat and drink? Can he keep it down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 3 or 4 hours ago. He wasn't making any of those sounds, just kept licking his lips like something he was eating got stuck between his teeth or upper gum pocket. Not the case, that's when I felt it. He was not gasping for air, but at the point where this thing had to go down of coughed up. He ate and drank well after that without any vomiting and played very hard after that, like normal. I'm just worried about obstruction and if I should be giving him mineral oil or any other lubricating mild softener to make it pass.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now he's resting like always, but did whimper once with a sound of discomfort but is sleeping now. He's about 48 pounds
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, if he is lip licking, then we may have some nausea here with this or at least throat irritation from swallowing this.

Now in situations like this, we do always need to tread with care. Most larger dogs can pass squeakers, but some can end up with blockages and it is just not possible to predict which will occur in an individual. So, I share your concern for Simba about that.

In this situation, we do have a few options. If it has been 3-4 hours, then its likely that this is already in the intestines. That said, sometimes non-edible items are slow to pass and it could still be in the stomach. Therefore, we could consider having him to his vet just now to see if it is still in the stomach +/- have him scoped if it is ( this is where they use their endoscope to remove this from the stomach and bring it out via the throat).

Otherwise, we need to take a supportive care and close monitoring approach to this situation. To start, we will want to feed him small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled and reduce his diarrhea volume. Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up his stool and push this through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting this slipping through the gut. Though do be aware that when using the lubricants, we can see self limiting runny stools, but that tends to settle once we are finished using it.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on him. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces (so we need to keep an eye on that) or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs (or the straining continues even after we start helping him), then having him seen would be best for his vet to have a feel of his belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. If he is showing mild signs of GI discomfort and lip licking, it may still be in the stomach causing him irritation. So, we could consider having him seen at this stage. Otherwise, we'd want to use the above for him while keeping a close eye. But if you see any of those other signs or want to err on the side of caution, then having him examined +/- xrayed would be ideal so you can appreciate where the squeaker is and whether there is any risk. But otherwise we'd hope to use the above to settle his stomach and push this out the other end.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information,it's very helpful to have an idea where we're at now, which I think must have made it to his intestines by now. I'm hoping it will pass as he's passed other bits of toy fuzz and chunks of green masking tape, he tends to think anything he is given to chew must be Ok to swallow, which makes me always on alert and trimming shredded bits off his toys anticipating trouble, but it's a lot of work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's the middle of the night here so having your expertise available has helped calm me until I can take him to vet in a few hours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excellent provider of info thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

With him passing fluff before and being a good sized dog, we'd hope he can pass this. So try the above while keeping a close eye and hopefully we will see it pass out the other end. :)

Take care,

Dr. B.