Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is a 9 year old beagle. She has been coughing days. I

Customer Question
My dog is a 9...
My dog is a 9 year old beagle. She has been coughing for several days. I can't afford to take her to a vet but want to help her.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now we do need to tread with care if your lass has a cough. This is because the most common reason for coughing are our infectious agents (ie bacteria, viruses, etc) that often need antibiotics to clear. That said, we can also see coughing being related to throat issues (ie tracheitis, etc), lung issues (bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, etc), and even heart issues (especially if you think the cough is soft).

Now in regards ***** ***** her, we do have a few options. Just to note, nasal drops don't tend to be helpful in these cases and you need to ensure you aren't using any medicated ones (since most are not dog friendly). Otherwise, what would be better here is for you to use mild cough suppressant. Pet safe options we often use are Glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing and can be given at a dose of 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, we can use Robitussin DM. Of course, if you use this, we only want to use this one with Dextromethorphan +/- Guaifenesin. Avoid similar syrups with pet toxic drugs (ie Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine, etc). Dose-wise, you can give 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce throat irritation and

coughing for our wee ones.

Overall, we have a few concerns for your lass's cough. If she has only just started, you can try the above to see if it is just mild irritation. But if it lingers, then we'd want to have this checked +/- antibiotics dispensed from your local vet. And since you noted costs being an issue, I'd note that there are some options that could help. First, I would note that both VCA + Banfield offer a free 1st consult offer that may be an option here. You can find their vouchers @ VCA (Voucher: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) or Banfield (Voucher: http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon?). As well, the Humane Society (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html)and ASPCA (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills) both have good databases of charities that could help you get the care she needs.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Timothy Watkins. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian