Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog is 4 year old PitBull/American dog mix... He just

Customer Question

My dog is 4 year old PitBull/American bull dog mix... He just suddenly started jerking like he is hiccuping without the hiccups.. It's only when he goes to lay down... Then he'll jerk and get up to change positions and it will happen again, he'll get up again and keep moving like he's restless... I noticed while walking it happened and he responded like something scared him... I see a lot of these type symptoms online but no answers, can you help? It's 12:30am and I figure I'll ask here because I think it's a 250 dollar emergency bill if I absolutely have to take him I without a doubt will, but I'm seeing if I can get a quick answer or something to relax him until tomorrow morning?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

This is a little strange. I don't know for sure what is going on, but it does sound like something is upsetting him or causing pain. I would wonder if he ate something that is upsetting the stomach. That could lead to some pain every time the stomach or intestines start to move. We can see dogs with GI pain have intermittent painful reactions. In that case, we usually just give them time to resolve. You could try an antacid like Pepcid (Famotidine)- 10 mg every 12-24 hours. You could also try some Benadryl to take the edge off. The dose of Benadryl in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight.

If the signs worsen to more constant muscle tremors or seizures, then go to an ER vet. As long as they're improving and resolving over the next 8-12 hours, then he should be fine.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tryed uploading a video but it said it's too large.. He doesn't make any noise when it happens, he just jerks and becomes restless like the jerk happens and then he'll get up and reposition... Seems like it's his rear legs that are jerking but hard to pinpoint... Could it be a pinched nerve?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

It could be a disc herniation that is pinching a nerve. It sure sounds like GI pain though with the normal periods and then sharp pain. Either way, rest and sleep should help. Benadryl may be enough to get him to sleep and rest for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's asking me to rate, but I wanted to touch base before I did... To be honest, I'm not at all satisfied with any of the answers I'm getting, I was hoping for 35 dollars I'd get something a little more difinitive... I just feel if my question wasn't something you could definitively answer you should give an option saying so.. I paid 36 dollars and I'm honestly wondering why I did so... I'm no better off honestly... Everything you told me was more or less general knowledge and common sense
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I can't give you a definitive answer. The signs are pretty vague signs of pain. That pain could be one of many things. I'm giving you the most common and some things you can do at home.

Without an exam, we're not going to know for sure. Even with an exam, a lot of those guys we end up treating symptomatically.

If you're not satisfied with this service, there is a 100% satisfaction guarantee. You can contact customer service and get a refund.

My job is to take the information provided and give the best advice I can. I try to do that to the best of my ability.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand completely... I can't say Im satisfied though... I'm sorry for wasting your time...
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

No problem. I hope everything turns out ok.

Have a good night.