Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog just ate a pound of black forest ham. Is this

Customer Question
Customer: ***** *****. My...
Customer: ***** *****. My dog just ate a pound of black forest ham. Is this dangerous
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have two dogs. A small schnauzer poodle mix and a golden collie mix. I think the golden collie mix ate the ham.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- It was just ham no bone, correct?

2- How much does your dog weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The ham had no bone. It was deli lunch meat from the grocery store. The small dog weighs 13 pounds. I don't think she is the one who ate it The large dog weighs 40 pounds
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think the big dog ate it

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, unlikely for the ham to be a problem at worst they may develop mild gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea. Less likely we can see pancreatitis with some cases of dietary indiscretion.

I would recommend you keep an eye on them for the next 24 hours. If they develop vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start them on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet for the smaller dog a whole tablet for the bigger dog every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give their gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If they continue to vomit after doing the above they will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian