How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 11026
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 2 1/2 dog grab a piece of rat & mice poison I saw it I

Customer Question

my 2 1/2 dog grab a piece of rat & mice poison I saw it I yelled he dropped it I feed him 2 tea of butter he was fine all day running and barking then he started coughing or snorting later today like with allergies
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Do you know if he ingested any of the rat poison?

Do you know the brand and type of poison? There are different types of rat poison with different ingredients.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know I saw it and yelled I was told it was blood thinner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He isn't sick he has allergies cough like dogs do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sure he got some in his mouthI
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. The problem with rat poison, especially anticoagulant poison, is that you won't typically see any symptoms for 4-7 days. It causes the body to not be able to make any more coagulation factors, so the body still has stores that it can go through. When symptoms starts, there is usually bruising, which many owners miss and abnormal bleeding from areas. Once the symptoms start, the prognosis can be worse, so you want to be proactive with treating rat poison. It is too late for vomiting, but a vet can give activated charcoal to bind the toxins and vitamin K to counteract the effects. This has to be done soon, though, in order to help. I would recommend getting him seen by a vet ASAP if there is any chance that he consumed any of the poison. If it was just in his mouth, but he didn't swallow any, it shouldn't be a problem. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. If you feel like your questions have been answered, please rate my service. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions