Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our puppy ate peole cereal with sugar now he is so hyper

Customer Question

Customer: our puppy ate peole cereal with sugar now he is so hyper will he be ok
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he drank the milk with a tablespoon of sugar in it, he is 10 months old
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

As long as there was no chocolate or xylitol (a dangerous artificial sugar) in this cereal, this isn't dangerous for Otis. The hyperactivity will fade as this works through his system. That said, if he had a bit more sugar and milk then a dog should, this can cause GI upset which can lead to panting and agitation as well. Therefore, if he is very unsettled, you can try soothing his stomach with an antacid just now. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Otherwise, we just tend to put these wee ones on a light diet for a day or to two to offset any GI upset. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). For any of these, do plant to offer it as a small meal.

Overall, this isn't a dangerous situation for Otis, therefore we can use the above to offset and stomach upset but otherwise he should settle from this in a few hours.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Glenna,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet