Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog is acting strange he had an infection in s paw a few

Customer Question

My dog is acting strange he had an infection in his paw a few weeks ago has had two rounds of antibiotics and two steroid shots
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you clarify what "acting strange" looks like to you? An infection that hasn't responded to antibiotics or steroids may require surgical intervention in order to lance and flush an abscess with an antimicrobial solution as well as to look for a penetrating foreign body causing a persistent foreign body reaction and secondary infection. If the infection in his paw is actually a lick granuloma (acral lick dermatitis), this disorder is treated with a combination of long-term systemic antibiotics and psychotherapeutic drugs designed to address an obsessive-compulsive disorder. Here's what such a granuloma looks like: http://www.petmd.com/dog/general-health/evr_dg_acral_lick_granuloma_a_dermatology_nightmare

Please let me know if that's what Stoney is dealing with. If not, can you upload a photo(s) of his paw to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Hi Wendi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Stoney. How is everything going?