Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Something is wrong with my dogs stomach.. He was throwing up

Customer Question

Something is wrong with my dogs stomach.. He was throwing up and not wanting to eat or drink. I took him to the vet and they did an x-Ray and they did not see anything wrong on the x-Ray.. They have me an anti-vimiting pill for 3 days and he hasn't vomited and I have been able to get him to eat soft food.. And.. His popp is fine.. No diahrea.. But when I make him drink water, the water seems to really hurt him and he does this cough thing.. And then you can hear it in his stomach.. He gets like the hick ups right away and then he starts crying.. I can't figure out what it is.. The x-Ray shows nothing with his esophagus or any object or twisted stomach.. What could it be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about Monkey. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. My name is Rebecca.

How long has he been doing this? Does anything come up when he hiccups and cries and the noises come from his stomach?

What is the name of the medication he is taking, the anti vomiting pill? I don't want to recommend anything that has already been tried.

If he were mine, I would try a medication called sucralfate, which protects the lining of the esophagus and stomach. I would also consider doing a "scoping" of the esophagus (passing a tube into the esophagus and stomach to look at the lining, look for ulcers, etc. and see thing that do not show up on Xrays).

Let me know what other questions you have and how he is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you saw what I wrote! How is Monkey doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Monkey. How is everything going?