Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just rescued a 8 year old lab/chow. Mediciney smell breath

Customer Question
Customer: hi, I just rescued...
Customer: hi, I just rescued a 8 year old lab/chow. Mediciney smell breath on no medicine. Today I went to work and now he showing symptoms of panic/anxiety. breathing issue and foamy from mouth
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I've only had the dog for 6 nights. Likr breathing issue, panic: He was dumped by his previous owner/owners
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I understand that you don't have a medical or behavior history for your new dog. Dogs do experience panic/anxiety attacks but his "mediciny" breath, abnormal breathing, and hypersalivation can also reflect any number of systemic disorders. The most common of the abnormal breaths are an acetone (nail polish) breath smelled with advanced diabetes mellitus and the urine-like breath of advanced renal failure. I recommend having your dog attended to by a vet at your earliest convenience. I would expect a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests to be performed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian