Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 3 month old Maltese puppy has developed 4 painful

Customer Question
blisters on its tummy near...
My 3 month old Maltese puppy has developed 4 painful blisters on its tummy near its genitial area what could be going on ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Can you upload a photo(s) of this area to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I suspect you're seeing impetigo or a superficial pyoderma in such a young pup in that area. This represents a superficial bacterial infection of nonhaired skin. A superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection) would be diagnosed if the lesions are larger than the small, nonfollicular pustules or papules of impetigo and are painful. In either case, affected areas should be cleaned every 1-2 days for 7-10 days with an antibacterial shampoo containing chlorhexidine. These shampoos are available from Sacha's vet and over the counter. If lesions are few in number, topical mupirocin (by prescription only) or neomycin ointment (over the counter Neosporin) ointment or cream should be applied every 12 hours for 7-10 days. If lesions don't resolve with topical therapy, appropriate systemic antibiotics (cephalexin, e.g.) should be administered for 3 weeks with treatment continued for 1 week beyond complete clinical resolution. The prognosis is good. As a pup's immune system matures, these infections usually abate.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian