Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My pit had puppies five days ago she had the first ten the

Customer Question
My pit bull had puppies...
My pit bull had puppies five days ago she had the first ten the night before and the next day she kept acting like she needed to poop but nothing would come out. She wouldn't feed the pups at all either. The next morning she finally gave birth to a dead puppy that was rotten!! I keep her bedding cleaned and I've mopped and washed everything but her and the puppies stink bad! When I change the bedding it has a strong odor that smells like ammonia what could be wrong
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** continued odour, this is highly suspicious of Luna having a uterine infection. It could possibly be from the rotted fetus but we could have a primary infection that could have caused the rot of a stillborn in the first place. Therefore, in this situation, we'd want to have Luna checked by her local vet and antibiotics started to clear this. It is best to address this sooner rather then later because as she cleans herself and then her pups, she will pass on both the odour and bacteria. And if this is a pathogenic bacteria, it could cause her remaining pups harm. So, we'd want to be proactive here to settle the infection for Luna, keep the pups safe, and settle the odour.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have some amoxicillin could it help her I don't get paid for three more day I get paid twice a month

Hi again,

I have to say that with a rotten fetus situation, it really isn't ideal to start her on antibiotics without a check. The reason is because this is a situation where there is a high risk of this spreading into her blood stream and making Luna sick. Furthermore, since the fetus was rotten, there is an additional risk of this being due to Campylobacter or Salmonella (and neither would respond to Amoxicillin and can be spread to people too).

So, if needs must then you can try Amoxicillin and will find the dose HERE. But if she deteriorates at all or we have pups developing diarrhea or dying, then we need them seen urgently (and see if their vets will at least provide treatment until you get paid).

All the best,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Luna. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian