Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Our Great Pyr has a golf ball sized lump on her knee (if

Customer Question

Customer: Our Great Pyr has a golf ball sized lump on her knee (if that's the right word).....she has been out in the snow and loves to come in and be in the house though....she eats all the time and is very active for 7 years old.....we had not brushed her lately and tonight we found her front chest was bloody and I panicked. My husband found the lump and I am distraught.....we will call the vet in the am....and she is licking it since we found it.....but not alot.......I am afraid this is cancer and I am going to lose her and I rescued her and love her.........
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it's all above......Gabby is a wonderful sweet dog that lives with 3 other Pyrs and 1 Great Dane, all rescued......she has exhibited nothing at all until my husband found this about an hour ago??
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that your dog has this lump. Is it on a front or back leg?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

First, if it is draining then please use ivory soap and water or oatmeal based dog shampoo to clean the area thoroughly. Apply for ten minutes then rinse and repeat in the morning

Please no licking, which introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of infection. An e-collar/ cone or t-shirt to help reduce this risk maybe necessary

Benadryl at 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours will help reduce the itch and allow her to rest comfortably tonight since it may cause mild sedation

Lastly, rotate warm and cool compresses to the area tonight. Warm to increase circulation and allow healing while cool helps numb and hopefully reduce the desire to lick

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

In order to determine if they are benign (noncancerous) lumps versus malignant (cancerous) lumps is to have your veterinarian evaluate and aspirate (poke with a needle) the lumps to evaluate the material under the microscope

This is really the only way to differentiate the concerning from the non concerning lumps definitively because a cancerous versus a noncancerous lump can appear identical on presentation

Evaluation under the microscope will be looking at the lump at a cellular level. Do the cells look normal, is it sebaceous or oil material that is benign or even fatty material indicating a lipoma or are the cells abnormal in appearance? This information is critical in order to diagnose the lump origin and whether it should be removed sooner versus later

Some tell tale signs that a lump might be more of a concern include whether it is rapidly growing, it is bothersome (scratching, licking), it is not easily picked up from the underlying tissue indicating it is attached to the muscle layer. This can be helpful but not 100 % definitive as a fine needle aspiration would be

I always advise photographing the lump with a ruler or coin next to the lump to measure the size weekly or in dark skinned dogs where it is not as readily viewable measuring with a ruler on a regular basis

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am online another hour tonight

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I was checking in on your Pyrenese to see if you were able to get her seen at your vet today? What was found? I would love an update when you are able...

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman