Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Bichon Poo about 20 lbs, Yesterday I notice s urine seemed a

Customer Question

Bichon Poo about 20 lbs, Yesterday I notice his urine seemed a little darer than usual but assumed it may be due to something he has eaten. Today, there was blood in his urine - he was up 3 or 4 times during the night to pee. He has no other symptoms. Recently he had an ear infection for which our veterinarian prescripted drops. Outside of this nothing else. What should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on the signs you have reported, our main concern here would be that Bogey may have a bladder infection. Less common issues that could also cause would include bladder stones, urine crystal issues, and bladder tumors.

Now if you have ever had cystitis, you will know that it is not a pleasant infection to have. We often see affected animals showing increased need to urinate and straining to pass urine while only producing small amounts of blood stained urine. This is because the infection causes irritation and inflammation of the bladder and this irritation makes the bladder feel tense and sore. Furthermore, we can see discoloration related to the bacterial agents present.

To give some relief at the moment, you can try to get him to drink more if possible. You can also offer low-sodium chicken broth to encourage drinking. As well, aloe vera berry juice (available at health food stores) can be helpful in changing the urine pH and making the bladder more comfortable. Also you can increase the wet food portion of his diet, as this is 35% water and will sneak some water into his system.

Still while urine dilution will help flush out bacteria and provide temporary relief, it is unlikely that this alone will clear the more severe bladder infections. Therefore, we'd want to have him seen urgently (because its uncomfortable, hence his frequent need to go), though this would not technically be an emergency.

If possible, do try to collect a urine sample. This can be difficult when they are only passing small volumes, but it would be ideal here. Your vet will be able to analyze the sample, determine if there are bacteria and white blood cells present (signs of infection), and rule out other issues like crystals or glucose (a marker of diabetes). As well, they can check the specific gravity to see if the urine is terribly dilute and thus suggestive of one of other issues underlying (ie kidney or liver disease). And if there is any worry of crystals, stones, or tumors; the vet can examine the sample under the microscope to rule those out.

Overall, your lad's signs are highly suggestive of bladder based infection causing his discomfort. Therefore, it would be best to consider having him seen urgently to nip this in the bud. Once the discomfort is under control, usually with antibiotics and dog safe pain relief; these signs should settle for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )