Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

, my dog is losing hair behind the ears and will not

Customer Question
Customer: hi my name is...
Customer: hi my name is Tegan
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my dog is losing hair behind the ears and will not stop starching I have some Cortic-ds 1% cream and i would like to know if that is ok to use on my dog?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, Tegan. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now in regards ***** ***** question, you can use that cream on this irritated skin. Still, do be aware that you may only be treating part of the problem. Often dogs scratch these areas due to irritation in the ears or allergies affecting the skin. So, the cream can be used twice daily and applied as a thin film (we, of course, would want to put an e-collar on him to prevent further self trauma or him rubbing the cream right off); but we need to consider why he is itching in the first place.

Therefore, you will want to have a good peek into his ears. If you are seeing discharge, redness, or they smell; then we may have a bacterial or yeast issue that we need addressed by your local vet. (You can flush the ears with saline but do avoid putting anything else in since many ear medications are harmful if the ear drum is ruptured --which has to be checked with an otoscope since its down at the bottom of the canal).

Otherwise, if that is all normal and you wanted to rule out allergies, then you can try him with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, you can use this cream for your lad. Though we do want to make sure we are blocking his access to rubbing it off and also ruling out those other concerns to ensure we get him settled before he causes secondary skin infections here.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian