Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My goldenretriever just ate about 12 ounces of bacon geease

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 1 year ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

This is a very common product for dogs to ingest. They cannot resist it.

On the positive side, this is not toxic. However, bacon grease does have potential to cause profound digestive tract upset with vomiting and diarrhea, and possible subsequent development of pancreatitis. Other than inducing vomiting (if the ingestion occurred less than an hour ago) there is not much you can do at this point other than to monitor for symptoms and hope she will be one of the lucky dogs who has no issues.

If it has been more than an hour and you cannot expect to induce vomiting and have it bring up anything successful, and therefore you must monitor. If she develops any vomit/diarrhea or loss of appetite or abdominal pain within the next 72 hours, then you need to have her seen as soon as possible for an examination and some lab testing to particularly screen for pancreatitis.

If you feel like you want to try to induce vomiting, let me know and I'll give you a method to try at home OR you can take her to your nearest ER clinic for them to induce vomiting.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified