Hello. I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.
It sounds as if the petroleum distillate which is present in this type of furniture polish may have caused gastrointestinal signs in your dog...although if he only licked a small amount, I'd have to wonder if this product was responsible.
In any event, in most cases, we typically only see gastrointestinal irritation when such a product is ingested.
The following is what I'd suggest:
1. He can be given over the counter Pepcid AC which should help with his nausea. The dose would be 1/4th mg per pound of body weight twice a day.
2. Try to prevent grass ingestion since the sharp fronds may worsen the situation.
3. Withhold food for 8-12 hours; just give everything a chance to settle down.
4. If he appears less nauseous, then offer a small amount of boiled, skinless, boneless chicken breast and 20-minute white rice. Feed him multiple small meals rather than just one or two.
5. He can have small amounts of water in about 4-5 hours.
6. Since I always worry about low blood sugar in these small dogs if we're withholding food for any length of time, you can offer him a very small amount of honey or pancake syrup every 2-3 hours.
If he continues to act nauseous and/or doesn't want to eat or other signs develop, then a vet visit may be prudent.
I hope this helps. Deb