Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Why does my Cav eat her brother's poop if it is fresh ??

Customer Question

Why does my King Charles Cav eat her brother's poop if it is fresh ??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry your Cavi is doing this! I understand how difficult it is to see them eat others stools!

Why Elsa prefers the fresh stool unfortunately is a matter of taste (I know, that is really unbearable to think about) as my little dogs prefer the older stool to fresh ones if given the opportunity

Over the counter solutions don't always work but include:

- Meat tenderizer mixed in each meal
- Ground pineapple has been used effectively in some pets
- Deter is a product available at your local petstore, also mixed in food to make the stool unsavory
- Lastly a product through your veterinarian called forbid that is mixed in with the food daily for one week then intermittently thereafter

Please make sure she is being fed a high quality diet with no by products listed on the bag. This makes the food less digestible and often dogs will seek out nutrition from other sources.

Unfortunately sometimes this behavior called PICA is not solved by the solutions above and medication is necessary to treat this condition but most cases of dogs that eat their own stool are resolved by the above options. See more information below:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/pica-in-dogs

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today! I will be away from my computer for about an hour but will return in a bit to ensure that you have no additional questions. I just saw your question not being responded to and wanted to ensure you received a timely answer.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bee,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Elsa. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman