Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My name is ***** *****. I am wondering, is Cephlaxin

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. My name is ***** *****. I am wondering, is Cephlaxin normally given to treat UTIs for dogs? I was given Cephlaxin 500mg BID, but in the past from my old vet I was always given Clavimox.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have an 18 week old Leonberger puppy. Due to frequency of urination I took her to the vet, and she tested positive for leuks and blood in the urine, so they are treating her for UTI with Cephlaxin 500mg BID. She weighs 44lbs.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Okay, a few things. This is quite young, so it bothers me if she is truly positive for a urinary tract infection.

When the vet saw the leukocytes that was not a slam dunk for a UTI. What should have ideally happened, although more expensive, is the urine is sent to a laboratory for a culture test to identify what type of bacteria is present and the best antibiotic to deal with it.

Is cephalexin used? Yes. Do I recommend it. No. Clavamox would be a more common broad-spectrum antibiotic to deal with UTI's. Blood in the urine can also be quite a bit inaccurate. Also!

Ideally the urine sample is collected by cystocentesis, where a direct stick is made in to the bladder with a small needle. I also can't vouch how the sample was taken, but that can also contribute to some false blood being seen.

So, no reason you can't try the cephalexin. I would make sure to do the entire course. Also, make sure a urine test is rechecked 7 days AFTER all the antibiotic is finished and DEMAND that it be sent out to a lab for analysis and not read in the hospital.

Good Luck

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?