Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I am not sure if my dog ate a piece of coral on the beach.

Customer Question

I am not sure if my dog ate a piece of coral on the beach. About the size of a cookie. Would he have any reaction right away? What should i do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. How long ago could this have happened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About two hours ago
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

The coral itself isn't going to cause a toxicity issue. If it is going to be a problem it will be a pure physical issue / a blockage. It would be very similar to eating a rock. Is it in there? If it is in there, it it big enough to possibly get stuck? Those are the questions. It most likely wouldn't cause a problem right away. Typically it is in the next few days that vomiting, loss of appetite, or abdominal discomfort is seen - these are the typical signs of a problem. The best thing to do is to have a vet radiograph him as that will be something that will show up on an x-ray. If it isn't there, then no problem. If it is, then it may be something that time is given to see if it passes.