Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My two year old mixed breed female (lab mixed with terrier)

Customer Question

My two year old mixed breed female (lab mixed with terrier) has an all over body rash. Her appetite has been suppressed. She ate this morning for the first time in four days.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. How long has she had the rash? How much does she weigh? Did she eat her normal amount of food today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We just noticed the rash yesterday. She is about 40 lbs. Her normal food amount is a full bowl, but she only ate 1/2 this morning. She's been chipper, with normal activity and tail wagging. But she's starting to thin out quite a bit from lack of food intake.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction, we noticed the rash three days ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a digital pic that I can send.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you, ***** ***** is most likely due to an allergic reaction. In dogs, the allergens go on the skin and then through the skin to cause an allergic reaction.

To start I would give her a bath in a gentle or oatmeal shampoo to wash the allergens off.

I would also give her 40 mg of Benadryl every 12 hours. Buy the 25 mg tablets and give her 1 1/2 tablets every 12 hours until the rash is gone.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

If she is still not eating well by tomorrow morning then she needs to see the vet.

See if she will eat some plain cooked chicken and rice. That is easier to digest than dog food.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

To post the pic on here use the "paper clip" icon. I am not sure it will change my plan but I would like to see it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, trying to figure that out. I see at +Add Files link. Is that it?
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

It looks like a paperclip. If you click on it, it says "attachments."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the pic
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Good job.

I looked at it and I would still do the 40 mg of benadryl every 12 hours and a good bath.

You can also apply over the counter hydrocortisone cream, or spray, to the area 2-3 times a day. It is not toxic if she licks it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a bunch. We'll do it.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

My pleasure ; )

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Boots. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby