Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog may have injected some oxygen absorbing food

Customer Question

My dog may have injected some oxygen absorbing food perserver. It's black and magnetic...between 3 dog..2 over 20# ***** one 3#
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If they eat some it wasn't much but I am concerned
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Elemental iron granules are placed in the oxygen absorbers and added to bags of pre-prepared or dehydrated food stuffs to absorb excess oxygen. This prevents oxidization (rancidity) of the food and preserves freshness. They're labeled “do not eat” because elemental iron can cause severe poisoning, even in the small amounts contained in one oxygen absorber packet. It is very irritating to the GI tract and has direct corrosive effects. After ingestion, vomiting (with or without blood) is one of the first signs of poisoning. In fact, vomiting is such a common finding that if a dog does not vomit, it’s probable that a toxic dose was not ingested. If the dose is large enough to cause poisoning, severe metabolic acidosis, shock and hepatic toxicity can develop 1 -5 days after the exposure. At Pet Poison Helpline, the most severe cases of iron poisoning from oxygen absorbers have occurred in small dogs (<15 pounds). Unless a large dog ingested several oxygen absorbers or ingested unusually large ones, poisoning is much less likely.

How are your dogs currently doing, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are currently doing fine, happy and running around. They got into a bag of treats while I wasn't home and the packet was torn open with most of it on the floor...I need to keep an eye out for vomiting?

Correct but somebody would have already vomited if they ingested a significant amount of those granules. It sounds as if they're home free. In case any was ingested, dilute it by offering them additional food and favorite fluids such as milk, cream, broths and bouillons. I hope they don't think that you're rewarding them for their dietary indiscretion!

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help...I just wanted to make sure my babies were OK and if I needed to bring them to the ER Vet. Have great night

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at your convenience.