Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Name is ***** *****, my 8 month old lab legs go wobbly after

Customer Question
Customer: Hi name is *****...
Customer: Hi name is ***** *****, my 8 month old lab legs go wobbly after a 30min walk/off leash run.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He has been checked out at the local vet for hip and spine issues and all seem clear, he is fine after a short rest and doesn't appear to be in any pain. He is quite big for his age, weighs 26kgs but not over weight, it appears to me his body is too big for the muscles he has developed at present, if that is the case what should we be feeding him as any supplement?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear about your fellow and I understand how concerning this must be for you to see.
From your description he sounds like she may be suffering from a condition called exercise induced collapse. These pups seem fairly normal in their every day life but heavy exercise, like playing ball or longer walks/running, leads to collapse in as little as 5 to 10 minutes. Affected dogs are usually highly fit, young dogs. It was first noticed in Labrador Retrievers but has now been reported in other breeds as well.
Here is a link to a great article discussing the symptoms and disease:
http://www.vdl.umn.edu/prod/groups/cvm/@pub/@cvm/@vdl/documents/asset/cvm_asset_117797.pdf

Other causes of collapse with exercise include hypothyroidism, hypoglycemia, heart disease, or an atypical seizure.
Because he seems to get better so quickly things like degenerative myelopathy, or intervertebral disc disease seem much less likely.
At this point I recommend that your fellow be rechecked by his veterinarian and have a thorough examination and blood tests to look at his internal health. A complete blood count, biochemistry profile and thyroid profile would be a good start.

In the meantime I recommend restricting his activity. She can take walks but they should be short and slow paced and I do not recommend any more running for now.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago

Hello, I just wanted to make sure that you don't have any follow-up questions in regards ***** ***** response to your question. If not, and you found my information helpful, please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian