Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I HOPE MY DOG DIDN'T EAT THE ALUMINUM FOIL, BUT SHE CHEWED

Customer Question
IT UP OVERNIGHT INTO TINY...
I HOPE MY DOG DIDN'T EAT THE ALUMINUM FOIL, BUT SHE CHEWED IT UP OVERNIGHT INTO TINY BITS. CAN I GIVE HER ANYTHING FOR THIS? IS THE DOG IN ANY DANGER?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I’m sorry to hear that Maggie chewed on and may have eaten some aluminum foil.

I suspect there was left over food debris on the foil and that too could cause her to have stomach upset.

In this case we need to try and hope that we can get the pieces to pass through her gastrointestinal tract safely, and treat her nausea.

To try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help settle her stomach and get her feeling better and hopefully get her appetite back. They can be

used for several days if necessary.

To help ease the foil through I recommend starting with a vaseline sandwich. Take half of a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with the second half slice. Feed it to her bites sized piece by piece or she will make a huge vaseline mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the pieces slip rather than catch.
For the next few days, until the pieces pass, she'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the pieces are surrounded and the gut isn't irritated by contracting on just sharp foil.
A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat, and 2/3 white rice. Add 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber.
You'll need to check her stools frequently for bone pieces in the next few days.

Signs that things aren't going well, and she needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy.
If you aren't seeing fragments in the next day or two a veterinary visit and an abdominal radiograph to see if you can see where the fragments are is an option. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have her checked.
Once the pieces are passed and she's feeling well then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian