Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My English bulldog has a bit of a cold. She has been on

Customer Question
Clavamox for 48 hours and...
My English bulldog has a bit of a cold. She has been on Clavamox for 48 hours and I am wondering if the mucus coming out is a good or bad thing? She coughs mostly when she wakes up and sneezes every once in a while with the snot coming out of her nose. She doesn't appear congested or to be having trouble breathing so I am not sure if the mucus movement is good or bad? She is eating and drinking just fine. Thanks for the help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Mucus movement is a positive thing for dogs, just as it is for us. We all produce mucus to help flush bacteria from our airways. So, that is fine as long as she isn't congested or having breathing difficulties. And I would note using the humidifier is a good means of helping loosen that discharge for her to pass. As well, you can use non-medicated saline nasal drops if you do need to help keep that mucus moving from her nose.

Overall, we want Mabel to be passing this mucus. And as the antibiotic reaches peak affect, we will see that decline and then stop as she clears the infection.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mabel. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian