Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 12 year old Shitzu Maltese dog who is diabetic and

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old Shitzu Maltese dog who is diabetic and getting 11 units of insulin twice a day. This seems extremely high
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. This amount of insulin for a dog this size is very high, but it is not unheard of. If they are developing some type of insulin resistance or have other medical issues that makes regulating diabetes difficult, they may need much higher doses of insulin to keep them under control. If she is well regulated on that amount, I probably wouldn't mess with the dose. If she is not well regulated, I would talk to your vet about trying a different type of insulin or even making sure there are no other concurrent medical issues, such as a bladder infection, periodontal disease or Cushing's disease; among others. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. If all your questions have been answered, please rate my service. Hope this helps.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hi Terese,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Toby's blood work came back fine. I talked with my vet and got her to agree to reduce insulin to 10 units twice daily. He seems to have more energy. I asked her about switching to Vetsulin but she was against it. Very frustrating
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Just trying to regulate a diabetic dog and keep them regulated can be frustrating. I can see why your vet doesn't want to change too much at one time. Some diabetics walk a fine line between regulated disease and unregulated disease. Plus their body's response to treatment can change over time. I am glad he is feeling better, though. Let me know if you have further concerns.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.