How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Loretta Your Own Question
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28298
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Loretta is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog is pregnant and about 3 days ago began havin weak

Customer Question

My dog is pregnant and about 3 days ago began havin weak legs not walking n shallow breathing.i took her yo the hospital and they ran blood test ultrasound n chest xrays.all test came back normal.the doctor said shes never seen this in a pregnant dog.but that it was a strong possibility she was tnrowin blood clot PTE cause she had symptoms. They wanted me to ethanize because i couldnt afford treatment or other test needed to get a confirmed diagnosis.$3500 .with yhis being said i brought her home..from their medical stand point she wasnt goin to make it thru the night but thru prayer me n hubby giving arou d the clock love n care she is still with us..i read on the internet that low dosage aspirin is given to treat clots as well as heparin n wafarin.i decided to give her a half of 1 baby aspirin chewable every 12 hrs,pedialyte (2 1/2 tablespoon) every hr.she isnt still having breathing difficulties but not as bad in my opinion.can u please tell me what else i can do to try n save my doggie..can i give her over the counter heparin or wafarin along with the aspirin.n can i be prescribed oxygen to help her along..
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

You did not say how far along your gal is but even if she is close to delivery, these symptoms could be related to complications of the pregnancy. There is no way your vet can "diagnose" a PTE without further diagnostic tests so, in my opinion, you are doing all the right things. I am hoping your vet sent home some medications such as antibiotics but now, your gal will require supportive care to get her past this. I am not saying that she can be saved....if this is a PTE, even the aspirin will not help and heparin and warfarin are only by prescription and require constant testing to be sure there is not too much of this.

Continue giving your gal Pedialyte 3-4 oz every 4-6 hrs to be sure she remains hydrated and give her a dose of Nutrical, available at the pet store, every 4-6 hrs to be sure that she is getting the vitamins and nutrients that she needs. The low dose aspirin will help and continue to tempt her with rice and chicken . Then wait and see how she does....

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok doctor..her eyes are starting to become red with a little mucus...but no they gave me no medication doctor...i asked for antibiotic but she said they didnt see infection but in my opinion how can it hurt it should help right?in addition i read up on PTE and some symptoms she is having like when trying to stand up legs look like english bull dog and seems like she does it to get more air...ive been putting a fan in front of her to help with more air..but can i be prescribed oxygen for her....i really appreciate your time. By the way she got pregnant aroumd the 2nd almost 3rd week in November 2015
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What type of antibiotic can i give her.its like because i had no money they just wanted me to euthanize instead of helping me with at least prescribing meds..smh
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Most vets would prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Baytril or Cephalexin but these are only available with a prescription. Your gal must be close to delivery if it was the second week of November since the gestation is 65 days. Do what you can for her during this time.IT may be that your gal is suffering from hormone related issues and once she delivers, she will be fine...think positive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you have given me more info today than the ASPCA n animal medical center gave me in the last three days...i have been crying n not eating since mon..Your positiveness has done so much within our literally in tears tying this email..can u recommend anything that i can use to help with her breathing issues doc..i have a general herbal type antibiotic that is for humans but im thinking if i cut it n maybe 10-12 pieces n give her a piece every 8 hrs .im just so desperate to try anything Dr.Loretta.ive called and email the vet at the ASPCA since 8:29 am and no one has yet to reach out tp me.i called back once i recieved your message and they are still saying she will call me back by 7 pm...i understand there are several patients they have but time is of importance for my Meme doc...if anything she could of called and agreed to give me n antibiotic...i know doc that you r a professional n have to give me advice medically but if there is anything else i can do i would appreciate your insight..i really want to help as much as possible with her breathing..another thing doc..she has urinated but no poop since before this started on mon this something i should b alarmed by as well..
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Oh my...I am so sorry!! This distress that sweet Meme is in may be affecting her bowel movements but giving her a little vegetable oil may help her have a bowel movement. You may want to try a Nebulizer to help her breathing. The distress may be due to the pressure of the babies on her diaphragm causing this breathing issue. I am sorry but there is nothing else you can do except provide supportive care, are doing everything possible for Meme. Just do the best you can ....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank u so much.i will try everything i can...if anything i will email u..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought the nitrical as well n started her on a ampicillin..i googled the dosage according to her weight...thanks again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Question how often can i give her dosage of antibiotic being that she is critical.i want her to get it as quickly as she can take it.thank u doc
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Antibiotics are given every 12 hrs routinely. That should help your sweet gal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just wanted to give u n update..Meme is coming around.her breathing is normal n she is back walking eating m bowel movement...she is taking antibiotics n was on low dose aspirin for a few days as prescribed by n the hubby worked around the clock to give her supportive care.the only issue now we r having is her eye color is now changed has red n it and looks cloudy around pupil but she can see..i bought tomlyn sterile wash for dogs n cats ,n tear drops over the counter but its not working..what may b the cause if this can it b from her illnesa she experienced..or from the antibiotics or aspirin...i just dont like how her eyes r looking doc..please tell me any info u may have..thank u for everything..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is how both of her eyes r looking...what do u think doc..n wat can i do to help her...
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the picture. it appears that she has corneal edema that is causing this foggy look and the redness in her sclera indicates irritation. It is good that you are using a wash but it is important that your vet examine Meme's eyes to know what is causing this. It is hard for me to know without testing.