Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog just threw up had a bowel movement and couldn't walk

Customer Question

My dog just threw up had a bowel movement and couldn't walk all at the same time
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like she had a vagal reaction. This is when vomiting or diarrhea can lead to a drop in the blood pressure and weakness or collapse. It's not a common issue, but it happens.

To help with the upper GI upset, you can give an over the counter antacid. Famotidine (Pepcid AC) is the most common used. You could give 20 mg every 12-24 hours, as needed. If there is diarrhea, you can also add some fiber to the diet- canned pumpkin every 8-12 hours can help firm up loose stools. I usually give 1-2 tablespoons at a time.

If the signs seem to worsen, then I would get her seen. Otherwise, I'd give her a little time to improve on her own.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing that concerns me is there is a neighbor behind me that has pigeons in his back yard and I'm afraid the feces is being consumed when she eats grass. The same thing happened to my black lab two weeks ago
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about that wait, I had logged off.

This could be some GI upset secondary to eating pigeon poop and picking something up. If the signs are not improving on their own, then a round of antibiotics (Metronidazole) should get this cleared up.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pam,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Shiloh. How is everything going?