Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Christian, I have 110 pound Rhodesian ridge back pitbull lab

Customer Question
Hi Dr. Christian, I have...
Hi Dr. Christian, I have 110 pound Rhodesian ridge back pitbull lab mix and I just came home and found out that he ate a batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies should I take him to the vet? Should I induce vomiting, I have 3% hydrogen peroxide and and syringe here at home, or should I just keep an ion him and wait and watch, I was wondering what the symptoms were if he is having a bad reaction to chocolate thank you so much
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: DrMelJ, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I'm sorry to hear that Conner ate all your cookies! The good news is that he should be just fine. Being such a large dog, he would have to eat 15-16 ounces of semi sweet or milk chocolate to be toxic. I doubt there was that much in your cookies. If it was dark chocolate, then 6-8 ounces could be toxic. Now consuming a large number of cookies could cause some GI upset. If you know this happened in the last hour then you can induce vomiting by giving 3-4 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide. He should vomit within 5 min. If it does not work, you can try a second time. Otherwise, just be aware he may vomit some later on his own over the course of a few hours or may have some diarrhea tonight and tomorrow. You can try to help with GI upset tomorrow by giving 20 mg Pepcid ac morning and night. Any GI issues should resolve within 24 hours. If he continues to have vomiting or diarrhea for more than 24 hours or can not keep water down, then he needs to see a vet. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Conner. How is everything going?
DrMelJ
DrMelJ
DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian