Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 3lb 4oz Pomerania that may have swallowed a

Customer Question
levothroxin pill. What to do...
I have a 3lb 4oz Pomerania that may have swallowed a levothroxin pill. What to do
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you please tell me the mg strength of the medication ingested and how long ago this occurred?

Thank you

Dogs ingesting 0.2 mg/kg levothyroxine may develop mild signs, and dogs ingesting 1 mg/kg or more may need treatment. Hyperactivity and tachycardia are the most common signs of thyrotoxicosis so once I have a mg of the ingested dose (typically 0.1-0.9 mg tablets) then I can calculate the level of concern for him

3 pounds, 4 ounces is 3.25 pounds or 1.5 kg

A dose of 0.2 mg/kg is 0.29 mg whereas a dose of 1 mg/kg is 1.5 kg so as long as the dose of the medication is <0.3 mg then you should be just fine. You may see mild symptoms of gi upset such as vomiting, diarrhea, reduced appetite for 24 hours but not the more serious signs of hyperactivity and increased heart rate.

If you do see the more serious symptoms in the next 4-6 hours then please consider a veterinary er but my suspicion is that your little one will be just fine tonight :)

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if the dose is on the higher end that I listed. If so and your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good morning, I wanted to check in on your little Pomeranian to ensure he had no issues with the levothyroxine ingested yesterday? I would love an update!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian